Wordification

Tuesday, September 16, 2003

Went to school gym during lunch break, back to slacking in the studio because the com got busted and needed to be cloned... then went to the seminar with Stephen. Yeah, managed to seduce him to go, hahaha.

I would have been more impressed at their testimonies at weight gain/weight loss, but its no big deal at all. With proper dieting, anyone could get the same results and not waste money on pills or supplements. Their best weight gain testimony was "I gained 2kg taking blah blah blah" Hah, Well I gained 12kg without your blah blah blah... oh wait, I did take something, its called dragon boat.

Still am utterly disgusted with yesterday's 2.4 timing, so I went running at night to thoroughly analyze everything that went wrong. Heck, I came from being able to do 0 pullups, to 3 sets of 20. Hell yeah I can get this damn running thing under 9 minutes.


Pacing Versus Breathing:

There are mainly two types of running paces.

1: Wide big steps, long strides

2. Short quick steps, small strides

Both are applicable to the 2.4km run, based on the runner's preference/body type.

For number 1, due to the long strides and longer recovery time, a 2:2 or 2:1 breathing rythm would be suitable. That's, 2 steps in, 2 steps out, or, 2 steps in, 1 step out.

For number 2, due to the quick and short steps, a 3:3 or 4:4 breathing rythm would be more suitable, due to the fast pace.


Yesterday, I stupidly used short quick steps, BUT with the 2:2 and 2:1 breathing rythm. This results in jacking up of heart rate too fast, and I was lucky to not get hyperventilated.



The next area is in running stroke.

Due to my previous runners knee injury, I adopted the heel-step stroke, to lessen the impact on the knees. This stroke works by you extending your leg furthur forward, "kicking", if you accentuate the motion, forward, landing solely on your heal, and then cycling backward to your toes. Good, safe, excellent for a jog, but not for a timed run.

Just now I mirrored a mental image of jagdish's running stroke and emulated a similar stroke and realized how different the heel-stroke is to his wide stepped stroke.

Familiar... that was the stroke that I started out with 2 years ago before adapting the heel-stroke due to my runners knee.

Unlike the heel-stroke, you throw your leg forward only as far as right below your hips, not any further forward. This allows you to land on a "springed" knee, as well as provides additional push for your recovery, which has you knee bending at a 90 degree angle. This also is beneficial because its a much "shorter" stroke than the heel-stroke's range of motion, so its easier on the muscles and allows better bounce.

But, stress on the knee... is scary.


So yeah, during just now's run... I could feel the speed. Right knee hurt a little, I guess my runner's knee's not fully recovered yet. Screw it, I don't care. I'm taking glucosamine for you already you better perform.


Fitness is bullshit. To perform, you need technique. Same with running, same with pullups, same with everything. And a genius of technique, am I, BWAHAHAHAH.


Damn straight. More research and analysis to be done....

No comments: