Wordification

Sunday, January 04, 2004

Yesterday's canoeing sea training was awesome. Beat Jag by a hair's length for the first set. Second set tied, third came in ahead by alot! Fourth had a godawful start and ended up behind by alot, fith set draw. I wish Sensei was there...

That bugger has my utmost respect as a canoeist. Throughout each set I kept an eye out for opportunities to play around like Ben would, to try and psyche out my opponents. But I just could not pull away from him, cept the third set, no idea what happened there.

Then for doubles with Sebastian, 1st set tied with Ezra and Melvin, second set pulled away by alooooot, third set pulled away by even moooore! Ahuahuahua. Sebas is an awesome rower. I'm starting to get to trust him more and more in the boat. We'll discuss on how to improve each set, and inbetween crack lots of jokes and sing songs like "in the jungle" in two parts while the other school canoeists are giving us odd looks as they struggle by. Finally for the last set we challenged the K2 of team Jag and Naresh to a race. We managed to pull away and win the set :D

So within just half a year I have made it up to the top 3 in the team. I still need to get much better because opens are versus the JCs in 3 months time for the race - get past Jag and to number one! But he's not going to make it easy, before we left off he made an amusing remark. "Whoa man, all your extra training really paid off! You've improved alot. But you know something? Go and train all you want, because next week, I'm going to beat you."

And so it was that I went to school to do weights circuit immediately after rowing. We'll see, Jag, we'll see...


Met Jonny and later Jeremy to do weights at school. I'm sensing an increasingly amount of determination in Jonny. Quite interesting indeed. Recent events have perhaps given him a reason to fight for. And I was right, after asking him why he wanted to win. There's no greater pushing factor than to prove some people wrong sometimes. Yes, I will help him prove them wrong.

Sometimes people tell me that they want to win because "they want to." or "it feels good to win." I think that it takes much much more if you want to strive for something. Because in the boat, when you're lagging behind by half a boat, will that reason be strong enough to slap yourself back to reality and tell yourself to get over your tiredness and breathlessness to achieve your goal? Or will it be enough for you to charge into your opponent to deliver an attack while risking a point. I don't think so. I've had that reason before.

It never worked.


Went to eat KOREAN BBQ!!! with Jonny at seoul garden after weights. Ate so much chicken I worry for their population now. But the tom yam soup was the bomb! Even though I may have added too much szechuan and salted veggies in... Jonny was like "Walau the soup is too salty" hahahaha.

Ok back to work on the website. School starts tomollo, woohoo.

No comments: