Wordification

Sunday, January 25, 2004

Had an interesting recollection from last week's weights with the Dwarf. He was telling me of some new guy who joined the db team. During pushups, Ben told the new guys to stop while the seniors would continue, but the bugger continued to push. Until a little while later he went over to the drain, bent over and puked. Bwahahaha, and Winston's recap of it was, "he went suddenly went over to the drain, and 'BLAAAAAAAWRGH'ed. XD Winston said he almost broke out laughing.

Strong spirit in this new guy, but I wonder if he will be able to keep it up :/
Was talking with Thomas during training yesterday during training about the team... some new conflicts brought up, some old conflicts brought up. Its sad, really, so many problems going on in the team, people blaming the leaders. I know some are trying to make things better, I dunno about the rest. But I recalled something from the morning's sermon about people putting up false "concerns" over small matters concerning the community or team. And instead of facilitating the growth of the community as a whole, they split it up due to opinions and egos.

I guess every community or team has its problems, eh? But I also must not be the one to shake the team up by bringing these issues up.

Accountability to yourself, to your responsibilities, to those whom you look up to, and to those whom you lead.

If these things are not checked often, then things may just turn from bad to worse.




Anyway, on the way to Ben's house for Chinese new year I saw a lady sitted down by the side of the walkway in junction 8, leaning her head against the glass panel and her legs curled to her left side. Walked a few steps past and came to the conclusion that she couldn't be waiting for anyone in such an uncomfortable position. So I went over and asked her if she was ok.

Sure enough, the expression said it all, trying to put up an okay front with a faint smile. I sure as hell wasn't going to leave her in this state, so I asked her if she needed to go somewhere. Wondered if she needed to go to the doctor, but I think I saw some medication in her plastic bag and she said that she needed to get to the taxi stand. So I carried her bag and plastic bag and helped her up and over to get a taxi. Her hands cold, leaning more and more of her weight on my arm as she kept up a quick desperate pace.

We went to the nearest taxi and not to the front of the queue, so the driver told us to go to the front taxi, but I assured him that she really could not walk anymore.

I returned her things to her and left her in the care of the taxi driver. Walking away I wondered if I should have accompanied her in the taxi and made sure she got to where she was going. Stupid Reu. Anyway, she was in the hands of the driver now, and hopefully his compassion. I prayed for her and for the driver as I boarded the train to Yishun.


Went over to Jon's house and ransacked his room, then went to Ben's place and played blackjack.

After watching awhile to get a feel of the playing habits of some of the players, I played awhile. Winning and losing streak while playing safe formed a representative model of a sine curve - twice. So after an hour of playing I finally bet my last 10, doubled it in a win, and cut the curve in its highest positive peak.

Quite interesting how these people play. The gamblers table is full of superstition and traditions like, if you shake your leg it means you want to lose money; or flicking your card before revealing it, or blowing it. I was quite amused at Rendy's extremely slow method of revealing his cards. What's the point? when I take a card I just look at it immediately instead of hide it behind my other cards to slowly open it up. I guess I'm still influenced by Chua somewhat. Common people gamble with their superstitions. I go there to play a game based on probability and logic.

So I made 30 bucks today. And laughed at Jeremy, Darren and Rendy who lost cash.



No comments: