Wordification

Friday, November 28, 2003

XD

Poly forum was... pretty awesome.

Will have photos as well as some account of the activities on board once the batteries for teh digicam are charged.


Very insightful to the Singapore education system as well, since that was my sub theme for discussion and debate.

Never before have I heard the word "passion" been used to many times by these lecturers and staff, as well as the minister of education.

It seems like many of the select 60 student participants of the 5 polys are some pretty impressive achievers.

The students from Republic Polytechnic, particularly caught my eye. This new poly... RP, keeps telling their students that the're getting such creative teaching techniques, they tell people they have "PBL" or Problem Based Learning with such pride. Some, with over cockiness. But the things is, its because the poly is new, and the teaching methods so different from secondary school, that the students have such a sense of pride in how they are learning.

Ironically, for the older poly's particularly my course, we've been getting such problem based learning since year one. Its just that it was never pointed out, nor featured. So on the macro perspective, both the old polys and this new one may have similar problem based learning techniques, but because RP is new and its celebrated so much, the students think they're so special.

So yeah, well some of the RP students really are entreprenuers. Starting up a student union with the help of the staff, creating and organizing clubs for their polytechnic students to enjoy. Not bad.

But I'm still not sure what stand I have on one of the topics that was discussed. Its about creating solutions to give students more opportunity to pursue their "passions."

I think that, yes, its good that new schemes or some additions to the curriculum would help in giving students the chance to do what they are passionate for, since Singapore is now moving towards a value added workforce due to lack of manpower with respect to the other rising giants like China and India.

However, some possible problems posed are will these students actually be following their "passions", and not just some fleeting "Interest"?

Interests change, what if a students decides to go into music but later finds out that He does't like it after all? Will he have the rest of his education to fall back on? Or would he hit a dead end in his education so to speak?

Hence, some more passive, but yet sufficient syllabus for music and art would be more feasible.

Syed from RP during one of the final presentations shared that he once had a "passion" for music. But then later he looked at the long run and decided that it would be better and easier to make a living through other means. I don't think that that is passion at all. And if this is the misconception that students thinking that they want to do this for the rest of their life are thinking, then there may be some serious problems.

To me, passion is following an interest even when you hear that it would be much easier to make a living through other means. Even when your family members say that what you're playing is noisy. Yes, it was discouraging every time I heard my family members call my first composition noisy, even mom, or them rolling their eyes saying "there he goes again" every time I played that same piece.

But I didn't care. It angered me that these people were not being supportive like they were to someone else. It angered me that these people could not appreciate what I was trying to communicate, yet they critisized it. And despite all this, I didn't give a damn. Because this was MY passion. And if they couldn't get it? Then screw them.

But its because of this, that I can look at other pianists, who have gone through grade 8 or even Diploma, and not see as superior. For in contrast to those that had the training and nurturing and had fun and enjoyed themselves from clases, to me, who made it on my own and fought for what I believed in, I can say that I have come much furthur pursueing my passions then them.

People often ask me what grade I am after they hear me play. They always ask if I'm grade 8, but when I tell them that I only passed grade 1. And then sometimes I wonder if I've accomplished anything at all, during these few years of playing the Piano, but now I know. I've come damn far. Furthur then any pathetic grade or diploma will take you.

"Passion" is often contradictory to "Logic".

Then again, back to opportunities to pursue your interests? Its quite ironic that this school has provided me ample opportunity to pursue it. Now, it can be appreciated, but it would mean as much if I had not fought for it in the past.

Okay, I slept at 2:30am this morning... I ache, I'm grumpy and and pissed off for no reason. Haha, better go to bed. Erm... after playing Budokai 2.

Overall, this damned forum made me think too damned much.

No comments: