Wordification

Sunday, November 23, 2003

Ben did some weird "exercise" after training on thursday.

It was kinda like hot seat.... everyone sat in a huge circle, girls and guys team, then we'd go through everyone one by one. Ben asked us to "settle any problems" with the person, so that we would not bring negative issues into the boat.

Although confrontation of certain issues was probably needed in the team, I'm not sure if some were necessary.

Some girls cried, blah blah, one even started sobbing when she tried to point something out about someone else. wtf? Then there was some talk about narrowmindedness about some people and some other serious stuff.

But all I got from the team was smiles, and playful threats. In the end only "complains" about me being too tanned, or thinking I'm neo in the matrix who can do kung fu. -_-. I guess that's a good sign ahuahua. Ahh the best was Jindian's turn, when the girls took the liberty to say together "you wear your socks very high."

I took the opportunity to suan Ken... and offer Willy some advice. Wonder if that worked. And being the extremely nice guy that I am... didn't feel too right that night in bed >_<.

But its out liao, and I guess it did help somewhat.

Friday's presentation for FYPJ went well. Operation flashpoint: Singapore's original soundtrack was awesome, thanks to creative's new SBS range speaker subwoofer system too.

Finally over, now can work on MUGEN.


Weekend canoeing sea training annoyed me...

That jag... he's fast in the canoe, as fast as he is on land. This is very annoying. Because I know that strength wise, I'm waaaay better. Weights, he does about 7.5kg per side for military press, I'm going for for 20kg pre side now. His pullups maybe 12-15 max, my max = 25. Yeah, a new high btw.

Only thing is his stamina is way better.

But the odd thing is I'm either on par with him or slightly behind him from the start already.

Damn annoying. I know I'm pulling way harder, but how come he can still go faster from the start? If it was stamina I'd understand if maybe he pulled away after 600-700 metres, but from the start? wtf?

So I narrowed it down to 2 probable causes.

1. I was using the 216 paddle instead of the 218 paddle which I usually train with. Shorter, weird positioning, odd catch and recovery.

2. Catch of the stroke. I'm not catching the water well enough. Was hitting or slamming the paddle in at times... instead of scooping.


So during today's canoeing training I went chasing other teams around kallang basin again. Overtook some team... not sure who they were, then went after ngee ann. They're not bad too. Gained on one of their rowers, but that other guy was fast. All the while checking catch and posture.

But towards the end heard someone call out my name from a dragonboat. Looked to see the whole boat looking at me... whoa... sounded like ivan... or sensei, couldn't find him among the many people on the boat then I head it "Reuben, pull harder!"

*%*(^%*(^@#%$ I need to ask sensei what he means by pull harder sometimes. When I go all out and wack the water he still says I'm not pulling hard enough. Maybe its catch first then pull fast... argh, have to check with him next week. Sensei enjoys rubbing it in that "I'm not there yet", which is saying "I'm not good enough yet". As much as I understand that this is meant to provoke me to train harder... it works alright. And bugs the hell out of me. Oh don't you worry... Jag's been rowing longer than me by a year only... but I'll catch up... very soon. I am a genius of technic and analysis... and if I have to train my running to be as zai as my weights then so be it.

Dragonboat on the weekend was okay...
Was finishing some 50 metre sprints in my t1 while some of the guys were waiting for training to start at the side. Stupid darren, keep saying stupid things like "Why you train so hard?" I guess some people will want to console or cheat themselves by thinking what they do is enough. But its not.

I cannot stand phrases like "there's no point to extra training", or "train so hard for what?" Because if they had any idea, how tough our opponents are, they had damn well be as worried and buck up ASAP.

But on the topic of consoling and cheating oneself. Does this make us who train extra hyprocrites as well? What if we think we're doing enough during extra training? Is it just for the sake of extra training or are we actually striving for something more?

Haiz... damn sleepy. And sunburnt again thanks to mr sunshine... Oh happy little mr sunshine always smiling down on this poor rower, screw you mr sunshine!

And quickly took out some info on the blog seeing as to how some people are finding this too easily. Scary. I'm glad Winston let me know he found this, I"m cool with that, but I wonder who else is reading this without telling me.

Argh... time to sleep

No comments: